About the Mayor
- Hits: 883
This is a political office and Mayors are elected every five years. We have 24 elected councillors 11 of which are elected as ward councillors and 12 are elected on a proportional representation basis. Council meetings are held bi-monthly and special councils meeting are from time to time called on a need basis. The Speaker chairs all council meetings and all public participation meetings like Imbizos, IDP Representative Forums and Budget Forums.
Some of the responsibilities of the Mayor are as follows:
- Providing general political guidance over the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality.
- Plays an oversight and monitoring role in the exercise of responsibilities assigned to the Accounting Officer and the Chief Financial Officer, but may not interfere in the exercise of those responsibilities.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that the municipality performs its constitutional and statutory functions with the limits of the approved budget.
- To submit a report with 30 days of each quarter, submit a report to council on the implementation of the budget and the financial state of affairs of the municipality
- Co-ordinate the annual revision of the IDP preparation of annual budget.
- Ensure that consideration is given to public views also provide report on the effectiveness of consultation processes.